Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pirate Subtraction

We just begun learning about subtraction and I found some great pirate links to help make it more engaging for my little buccaneers.

For the launch we watched When You Subtract with a Pirate.   As we watched the video, students worked on their slates to solve the problems that arouse within the song.



Then we did some story problems using the pirate theme to practice writing and solving subtraction.

We ended the lesson playing Pirate Treasure Subtraction. Using these adorable work mats I found on sparklebox.com.  I allowed the students to use real coins which they really got excited about. We shared our some of our answers using our best pirate voices.



Both my kids and I really enjoyed this  pirate filled day of subtraction!

No comments:

Post a Comment