Sunday, September 28, 2014

Reading Mats

So I finally finished my reading mats - an idea that I received while at the Reading Institute at TCRWP. I added in the cute graphic ideas from Liz Dunford, as well as some of my own ideas.  So here they are and how they work.

Each student has their own reading mat that they keep in their book baskets.

On the front - the student's goal and tracking of their reading level



Inside is the mat - students make a plan of what they want to read and stack the books on top of the green circle. As they read the books they move them over to the read side where Piggie and Elephant wait with a "thank you".  Once students have read all their books they will see Piggie and Elephant again - this time encouraging them to reread.





Also on the "red/read" side is a Ready Set Read sheet where students move the paper clip to track their rereads.

Finally on the back is the metacognition  and decoding strategies.



I am so happy with how these turned out! My students are loving them as well. If you have any other ideas of how to make them better - or what the front might be missing - please comment below.

1 comment: