Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Toolkit Training

I was asked by my reading coach and principal to provide a training to our staff on The Primary Comprehension Toolkit after break. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity - thrilled that we were going to beginning the implementation of these amazing resources which I have been raving about since my interview. So over break I've been rereading the teacher's guides, going through my supplemental resources, and even picked up a copy of Staff Development with Comprehension Toolkits: Implementing and Sustaining Comprehension Instruction Across the Curriculum. So needless to say - by desk has been covered with these bounteous texts.


After many hours of reading, highlighting tabbing, digesting, quoting, typing, revising, and editing I've ended up with a pretty good presentation. Because I used some of the slides from the Staff Development book I can't publish it here.

But to sum it up my presentation included:
- An Introduction to Comprehension Strategy Instruction
- An overview of each strategy, with a activity to launch it that teachers could take back to their classrooms (most came from Comprehension Connections), and an opportunity to look at and discuss student work with the strategy
- A walk through of the Toolkit components
- A modeled lesson
- and  time for PLCs to dive into the materials

This will be my first formal training at my new school and I am so excited to be sharing a resource that I love! Here it goes .  . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

So . . . the training went great even though I was dragging from being up all night with the flu. But I feel like the teachers walked away with some ideas to use when students get back next week as well a better idea of why and how we can teach comprehension strategies.

Thank you to my literacy coach, Christy Patriarca, staff developer Angela Butler, and authors Stephanie Harvey and Tanny McGregor for your help in putting this together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment